A Summer Reading List for 2018


Summer is the perfect time to read that book that you have been meaning to get to all year, but just haven't had the chance to read yet, right? Here's what's on my reading list for this summer.
But, full disclosure, I really struggle with finding good professional development books. Like many teachers, I am on a budget, which means that I can really only afford to buy two or three books a year. My saving graces are my local public library and the 30-day trial of Kindle Unlimited through Amazon. I will indicate where I plan on getting each of the books that I describe below.
1. Mindset: The New Psychology of Success by Carol Dweck

Pretty much everyone in the educational world, at least those who are not living under rocks, is aware of Carol Dweck's research and the idea of the growth mindset, but it is really worthwhile giving the original book a look. I got this one from my local public library.









2. How Children Succeed: Grit, Curiosity, and the Hidden Power of Character by Paul Tough

Tough paints a picture of some of the pillars of modern education that is far from flattering, but he also combines sweeping statements of how education should actually function with research to back his statements. A worthwhile look into educational theory as well as policy. This is another library find.









3. Learned Optimism: How to Change Your Mind and Your Life by Martin Seligman

I had originally shrugged off Seligman's book as a kitschy self-help book, but now, thanks to a nod in my previous entry, I recognize it for what it really is: a powerful look at the ways that we can change our minds and attitudes, and help to change those of our students, in order to  optimize our chances of reaching our potential. Once again, a find from the library.








4. Dive Into Inquiry: Amplify Learning and Empower Student Voice by Trevor MacKenzie

I have read a number of excerpts from this book, as well as listening to a number of podcasts by its author on the EdTechTeam Press, and I am so excited to dig into it fully. Inquiry-based learning is something that I have been working to develop in my classroom, but without any real guidance. I am hoping that this book will help me to anchor my efforts and provide scaffolding to my students. This is one of the rare books that I have actually purchased!






5. Invent To Learn: Making, Tinkering, and Engineering in the Classroom by Sylvia Martinez and Gary Stager

From the inside cover:
"A dynamic masterwork that engages readers from the opening sentence to the last. The craft of making things becomes a philosophical cornerstone to a true education, as this book makes abundantly clear. Rather than rant against the status quo, this book shows both why the transformation of education is essential and presents specific strategies to make these changes. In many parts of the world, education has lost its way, and this book provides a map back to the educational experiences that are both tremendously effective and a great deal of fun as well." (David Thornburg, Director, Thornburg Center)
This is a Kindle Unlimited find!



6. Learner-Centered Innovation: Spark Curiosity, Ignite Passion, and Unleash Genius by Dr. Katie Martin

I must admit, I am kind of obsessed with everything that I have ever read that Dr. Katie Martin has written. This book is so incredibly inspiring and empowering and energizing, and everything that a teacher might need to become ready for the next school year. This is an actual purchase.









BONUS: The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood

Everyone has to have one non-teacher book on their reading list for the summer, right? I realize that I am a little behind the times on this one, but better late than never, right?
(This is on Kindle Unlimited as well.)

Comments