#TeacherSummerVacation

For a teacher, ending a school year is always bittersweet. You are very much in need of a break, but you are reluctant to let go of the school year. If you are anything like me, you wish that you would have taught much more and much better this year. At the same time, you are also excited for a fresh start of a new school year; not to mention the rest and relaxation in between. That is, if you are resting and relaxing...
I can't speak for all young teachers, but I think that many of us go into #TeacherSummerVacation with a bit of a chip on our shoulder. This is especially true for those of us who had a year that we weren't quite satisfied with in our classrooms. I am sure that there is many a seasoned veteran our there smiling knowingly, thinking that our youthful thirst for perfection will fade, and we too will one day be able to let go of a school year without guilt and enjoy a well-deserved rest. And, they might be right. But, for now, I am going to give myself some advice to avoid burnout while still building my skills for next year. Here are some of my goals to strike balance:
1. Read at least one education article or listen to at least one education podcast a day.
2. Stop looking at anything education related after 7:00 in the evening, so I can enjoy my evenings with my family.
3. Take part in one big education training or event. (TeacherCon Phoenix for me!)
4. Take one big non-education trip.
5. Build an online and social media presence as an educator.
6. Unplug when it feels right.
What are your plans for personal and professional growth this #TeacherSummerVacation? Shoot for the stars, but remember to take care of yourself.

Comments